Wednesday 18 May 2016

Maybelline The Falsies Push Up Drama Mascara


This is the Maybelline The Falsies Push Up Drama Mascara which came out this year. I had heard lots of brilliant things about this mascara from bloggers and YouTubers so I decided on a whim in Boots that I'd buy it. I didn't need a new mascara, but how many is really too many? I tell myself it is for the purpose of the blog.


Maybelline claim that this mascara instantly plumps and volumises lashes and keeps them lifted with styling wax. The brush has cup shaped bristles to push up your eyelashes to give a lifted effect. The packaging is half red and half black which a black band in the middle, making it look like there might be a wand on either side but there is only one! It is a tall mascara.



When I first opened the mascara the first thing that hit me was the smell. It smells so strong and so bad that it made my eyes water! Fortunately the scent has died down over the time but for a while it definitely wasn't a treat for my sense of smell.


To give you context, my eyelashes are straight and point outwards and downwards so have no lift to them. I also don't have many eyelashes and some short eyelashes due to losing lashes from a previous eye infection. So for me I am looking for mascara that curls my lashes and keeps them lifted! I battle the sparse lashes by tight lining with black eyeliner to give the illusion I have more eyelashes than I actually do.


When I first used the mascara I honestly didn't like it and I panicked because everyone else seems to like it. When I used it the smell bothered me, it was very clumpy and clumped my lashes together. It was also very messy and I had a lot of clean up to do afterwards. The only things I seemed to like was that it made my eyelashes look longer and very black.


This is one of those mascaras where the formula gets better after using it for a while. The formula was quite wet and clumpy at first and I had to ensure I brushed my lashes through with an eyelash comb before and after to make it work. However after a while the formula changed and became less wet and less clumpy. 


As for my lashes, they are extremely black and I see definite length added to them when I use this mascara. If I do it right (which I'll go on to explain) my eyelashes do lift up at the ends and I can add an extra lift to it throughout the day by just holding my finger under my lashes and gently pushing up. The mascara then helps to hold them up.


The mascara is still a bit messy and I find it near impossible to use this mascara without leaving some sort of mess. When I do my inner eyelashes and lower eyelashes 8 times out of 10 it will smudge. This is annoying but can be cleaned up by leaving it to dry then flaking it off with a cotton bud. 


So as I mentioned above, I have a 'right' way of using this mascara. It took some trial and error but I have found that I need to do it in a certain order to avoid clumping. First of all, when I pull the wand out of the product I have to wipe some of the product off. I then start with my upper lashes of the eye with the most eyelashes, that being my right eye. This is so the product spreads out over the majority of my lashes to avoid the clumping. I then like to do the upper lashes of my left eye before doing my lower eyelashes so there is less product and thus less likeliness of clumping on my lower lashes which are short and sparse.


When done correctly I do like my eyelashes with this mascara as they have a small lift and are lengthened. Done incorrectly and my lashes are clumped together and messy. As for lasting power the mascara doesn't smudge on my upper lashes and smudges slightly from my lower lashes after 4 hours. This doesn't bother me much because I just swipe it away with the side of my index finger. 


I don't sell it very well but this mascara is actually alright and I've definitely used worse. I like the little lift it gives my eyelashes but I reckon I could find another mascara with better lift and better hold. But for now I will continue to use this one and will take it away with me when I go on holiday. I do recommend trying it because out of all the reviews I had seen on this they were all pretty positive so it does seem popular! It is £7.99 which is a fair price for a Maybelline mascara.


What do you think of this mascara?




No comments:

Post a Comment