Thursday 28 September 2017

My First Tattoo Experience

Hello!

So just over a month ago I got my first tattoo and I wanted to share my experience with it. On the run up to me getting one I read a ridiculous amount of articles so I thought some people might find this interesting.



My idea for my tattoo I have had since I was about 15 years old. I've had a long fascination with Alice in Wonderland: the books, the films, the artwork, and the game Alice: The Madness Returns. My favourite quote is "We're all mad here", said by the Cheshire Cat. 

The illustration of the Cheshire Cat I wanted is from Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland because I love the vibrant blue colours. I originally just wanted the eyes and mouth of Cheshire, but recently I decided I wanted his whole face. I also used to want "We're all mad here" around his mouth, but I decided not to get the quote anymore due to me wanting a career in Psychology and mental health. Not sure how appropriate it would be! I also decided to have it on my thigh, because I knew it would be one the least painful places and it would be easy to cover up for work.

I spent a long time looking at different tattoo parlours and artists. I kept changing my mind about who I wanted to go to but in the end I chose Purple Rose Tattoo Parlour, because I saw the artwork of an artist named Charlotte. On her Instagram I saw that she had done an awesome Disney tattoo sleeve for someone, which included the Cheshire Cat. It's super important to choose someone who takes pride and care in their tattoos and also fits the style you're after. 



I contacted her and we soon arranged a consultation. I was super nervous and felt a bit intimidated by going into a tattoo parlour but the artist was really lovely and knew exactly what I was after. I explained to her that the vibrant blue was important to me, especially the eyes. I showed her some photos I found on Google and together we worked out what I wanted. She also told me how long it was going to take, about 3 to 4 hours, and how much that would cost. When you book in for a tattoo there can be a bit of a waiting list, and I had to wait just over 2 months for mine. 

On the day of my tattoo, I was absolutely incredibly nervous and anxious. A couple of days beforehand the person who was supposed to be coming to my tattoo with me went back on his word so I was even more anxious that I'd have to go alone. Thankfully, my amazing friend Toni swapped her work shift so she could come with me and hold my hand. The tattoo artist showed me the drawing she did for me, and I was in love! It was exactly what I had pictured. She printed it out and printed the outline on my leg, so we knew what it would look like and check the positioning.

Then it was time! A lot of people will give you different opinions on how much tattoos hurt, but ultimately yes, it will hurt, but how much it depends on you. I would like to say that mine wasn't that painful, but it really was. At first it was just about bearable, but after the area was swollen and red, it started to get more painful. The best way I could describe the pain was that it felt like the area of being burned and scratched at the same time. 



At one point I thought I would have to quit and come back for a second session, but with the help of the artist and my friend Toni, I got through it. The best way for me to deal with it was to keep talking, picture myself on a tropical beach and squeeze my friend's hand for dear life! The artist was fantastic support and helped me through it, letting me have a break whenever I wanted and giving me words of encouragement. She told me I was actually sitting pretty well for my first tattoo, which made me feel a bit better. The tattoo artist also used a numbing spray on the area during the tattoo, which also helped.

The weeks after that I was completely focused on healing. My leg ached for a long time and I couldn't wear trousers, so I lived in dresses and shorts. I went to work the day after and hobbled my way through the shift! It was annoying having to sleep with my leg out of the duvet covers so it didn't stick, and I did actually end up getting black ink on my duvet. Whoops. I washed my tattoo twice a day with Simple non-fragranced hand wash and moisturised it every other day with Palmer's Coco non-fragranced moisturiser. 

Healing is absolutely gross. You better believe that your tattoo will be scabby, flaky and itchy as hell, and you will be leaving skin everywhere. The best thing you can do is resist scratching it and pulling the skin off. You need to leave it to heal properly.



My tattoo is completely healed now, and it feels so weird to touch it and it just feel like part of my leg, rather than some artwork sitting on top of my skin! It took 3 and a half weeks for mine to heal. Unfortunately for me part of my tattoo got slightly infected so I am missing some colour from the eyes, mouth and whiskers, but it is normal to need touch ups afterwards so my artist will be touching up the colours for free. I can't wait for my tattoo to be perfect again!

So will I get another tattoo? The answer is yes. But will I be able to get one as big as that one again? I'm not so sure. I have lots of ideas for tattoos, but the pain of that one really put me off. I am sure I could handle smaller tattoos, but not so sure about bigger ones. We will have to see.

But overall I am in love with my Cheshire Cat and so glad I got it done. It is an awesome piece of artwork I am proud of and I really feel like I chose the right person to do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment